Gameplay Must Emerge (a new name)

Not sure if I'll settle on this name yet so maybe this blog will go by a different title when you read this.

Gameplay Must Emerge... (from simple rules)

I strive to create simple rulesets that lead to something succinct yet endlessly fascinating. A good example is the game of Chess. Just a number of pieces and an 8x8 board, yet it's as popular as ever.

I have not posted much recently, and have not released anything in a while. With a family and regular day job, progress is not as fast as I would like. And what I strive to create is not easy.

Although progress is slow it's also moving very steadily. I'm using LibGDX which is a Java library for games, but other than that I don't have many dependencies. I mostly write in pure Java and make images with pixel art, stuff that can be done with a variety of free tools. In the past I used Game Maker Studio, which isn't bad, but when a game takes years all the updates and changes can be a hindrance. I don't need fancy shaders (or any shaders), I don't need particles, I don't need physics, and so on. I'm purely interested in rulesets.

~~~

In any case, I hope to share a glimpse of my work soon.


(added a random image so this post looks better on the home page)

Comments

  1. Hi, I've been working to archive as many of the Flash (et al) games made for the Ahoge Game Jam contest. Back in 2012 you submitted "爆発285", I was wondering if you still have that on hand and would be able to share it?
    Thanks, Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber, I vaguely remember something about it. I think it was made for mobile and halfway through the "game" it made it seem like your phone broke and was about to explode? It was possibly html5, not Flash. I had a look around but have not found anything, sorry :(

      Delete
    2. Ah well, thank you for having a look regardless!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sir, I didn't see your contact details.I would please you for permission to download your game Leviathan from third party website and use it for personal, non-commercial use without any warranty or support by anyone.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I really like your Karoshi games, and in my childhood I really enjoyed to tell my friends about its main goal and watch their reaction :D
    I also wanted to show them the game on my smartphone, but I cannot find it avaliable on Android. Lately I discovered about "Mr. Karoshi" game, but before that I decided that I want to create a mobile version of the first Karoshi game!
    And after a decade i've finally made it :D

    So I want to ask your permission to publish the port of your game for free on the Google Play (and, maybe, itch.io), and publish its source code on GitHub. My code isn't perfect, but I think that the code solutions that I've found during the developement time could be useful to others. (BTW, the port was made with Godot Engine 3.5)
    Thank you for your games, thank you for your time, have a great day!
    Link to game apk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/194aCoxugv970PnoFzsZPPUe_vWcg1FMf/view?usp=drivesdk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexey, that's very cool! sorry for the late reply. Feel free to publish the game, as long as it's not for commercial purposes and mentions my name somewhere.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I misread your last comment so I removed my previous comment. Again, thanks for replying!

      Delete
  4. Hey your ios games, Seven Scrolls & Loopy Wizard are no longer available on the app store, do you have any plans to have them back up for purchase? Really bummed to have missed the opportunity if you aren't going to republish those games.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment