Development Update (game engines)

Game Maker Studio

Previously I wrote about moving on from Game Maker Studio. However, I'm still using it for 2 new games. This is because it just ended up being easier and faster to prototype in, and then I just went on to build the full game. I also reused code from Seven Scrolls.

Near the end of a project though, it inevitably gets a bit messy in my experience. Game Maker Language is just not that great for keeping things organized unless you really plan for it. But even if you do it doesn't help you much while writing code.

GMS has introduced structs, which can be made to use somewhat like a class based programming language. I played around with it and wished I had done so earlier, but it still does not compare to class based programming languages.

Kotlin

Kotlin is great! I would love to continue with Kotlin. Perhaps prototyping something in Game Maker and then building the real game in Kotlin. However...

LibGDX (Java)

I have a new idea for a roguelike game which is best suited for PC. The Kotlin codebase I use is only for mobile so far. A second thing is that I'm planning on taking a programming test this year, and the one to go for seems to be Oracle's Java test. LibGDX is a great multiplatform engine that works on PC and mobile. It works with Kotlin too, but for now I'll use Java to get to know the language and ace the test.


So... that's another blog post from me. Not sure if it's interesting to anyone but just putting it out there. See ya next time!

Comments

  1. I'm trying to make broughlike game with gamemaker studio too~
    your games are great ! they show me the possible :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment